Submitted by Girard Historical Society
In 1896 the Ohio Oil Cloth Co. began operation in Girard near the Trumbull-Mahoning County line on Rt 422 (State Street). This is presently the site of Soft Touch Furniture Repairs & Refinishing. In 1901, it was reorganized under the name Table Oil Cloth Co. Henry M. Garlick was president with George M. McKelvey and George H. Hughes serving as vice presidents. They acquired Keystone Oil Cloth Company in Norristown, Pa., and Western Linoleum Company of Akron, Ohio.
In 1918, the name again changed to Standard Textile Products. During WWI, they were furnishing war supplies. In addition to providing canvas to the auto industry for Model T tops, they were providing the troops with spats, tenting, and Pauline materials.
In 1937, two of the outbuildings caught fire. The linseed oil storage tanks caught as well. The conflagration was dramatic and smelly. It never reopened.