Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Harris Automated Press Company

Submitted by Richard K. Fleischer In 1890 jewelers and tinkerers Alfred and Charles G. Harris developed a new printing press with an automatic feeder. Their first press was a revolutionary breakthrough, delivering ten times what a pressman could feed by hand. The Harris Automatic Press…

Read more

Ohio Corrugating Company

Submitted by Richard K. Fleischer Ohio Corrugating Co. est. 1915 – Located at Pine Ave. and Roanoke St. SE. First President was W. M. Kerr. The company made corrugated roofing and siding. Ohio Corrugating bought it's steel from Trumbull Steel Co., located across the street. Product changed to…

Read more

Warren Civic Music Association

Submitted by Warren Civic Music Association HISTORY Warren Civic Music Association is the oldest community arts organization in Trumbull County and one of the first in Ohio. It is located in Northeastern Ohio, midway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh, in an area rich in history, the…

Read more

Liberty & Vienna Railroad

Submitted by Richard K. Fleischer If you were to travel to Vienna, Oh. today you would be hard pressed to find any evidence that a railroad ever entered the town. Fact is, though, that at one time two railroads entered the town, and that, for…

Read more

Mineral Ridge Railroad

Submitted by Richard K. Fleischer Mineral Ridge is an appropriate name for the village as it was a place where an abundance of coal and iron was found. The local supply of raw materials was the reason that the iron industry flourished in the Mahoning…

Read more

Mahoning Coal Railroad- New York Central

Submitted by Richard K. Fleischer This railroad had two lines in Trumbull County, running the entire length of the county in the following townships: Liberty, Hubbard, Brookfield, Vienna, Fowler, Hartford, Johnston, Vernon, Gustavus, and Kinsman.  The Mahoning Coal Railroad and the New York…

Read more

Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, Lake Branch

Submitted by Richard K. Fleischer Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Lake Branch and the Painesville & Youngstown Railway The B&O Lake Branch was the first narrow gauge line in the state for common carrier business, and was built within two weeks of the Denver &…

Read more

Cortland Opera House

Submitted by Sally Lane In 1987 this building was known as the “Grange.” Before that it was unofficially called the Opera House, but its real name was Kline’s Hall. Before that it was the town’s Methodist church and faced North High Street.  Before that, from…

Read more

Bristol Inn

Submitted by Kathy Seemann In 1806, two years after Bristol Township in Trumbull County, Ohio was first settled by Abraham Baughman, Jonathan Walkley (born in Connecticut on November 11, 1783, died October 19, 1828) built the first frame home in the township on the south…

Read more

Atlantic and Great Western Railway, The

Submitted by Andrew Olson & Richard K. Fleischer The Atlantic and Great Western Railway (1865-1871)/Railroad (1871-1880) Company On March 10th 1851 Marvin Kent, a merchant from Franklin Mills OH (now Kent) chartered the Franklin and Warren Railroad to connect the two named local business communities.…

Read more

Heltzel Steel Company

Submitted by Richard K. Fleischer Warren - Est. 1916 by John Heltzel – Located on Thomas Rd. next to Berk Enterprises. Made steel forms for highway paving machines, concrete batching plants. John Heltzel came from Streator, Ill. in 1914, with a partner. They had…

Read more